Sunday, February 19, 2012

Getting Things Done

Now that I am 23 weeks pregnant I am finally getting some energy and it feels great! I was getting a little worried that with the boys, school, and just being a mom that maybe I wouldn't get much energy back this time. I am very glad that isn't the case. The last couple weeks have been great and I am feeling very accomplished with house projects.

When we bought our house last June we had a big list of projects that we wanted to get done. One of the projects we were hoping to do before we even moved in was pull out the carpet and refinish the original wood floors. Unfortunately our closing day got moved out and we already had movers scheduled for a certain day to move us and we ran out of time. But, the weekend of the super bowl we decided to rip the carpet out and get going on this huge project. True to all house projects we first pulled back a small section in each room to see the floors and some how every corner but one that we pulled back made it look like the floors were in good shape. Thankfully the one corner we knew was going to be a problem room and Ryan's dad made sure to rent a sander before even showing up Saturday morning. Once the two of them got all the carpet out of the house they realized every room would need to be sanded which meant staining the floors and putting a coat of poly on top. Very quickly our two day project turned into a five day! So typical of any house project, right? In the end it was so worth it though. We have great parents, Ryan and his dad worked tirelessly (12 hours a day!) for two days straight to get the carpet out, floors sanded and stain on. My parents let us stay at their house for 5 days since our house was completely torn up. My dad helped Ryan get the two coats of poly on the floors and my parents and brother helped me clean the whole house and move all the furniture back. I have no idea how we would do these things without their support. Not to mention the money it saved us to do the project ourselves and not have to stay in a hotel! And now the floors look amazing! It instantly made the house more beautiful.

Now I am collecting some great deals on home decor to redecorate our family room. I have been scouring the Internet for ideas and starting a little collection of them. I am pretty excited to finalize the paint and get it bought so I can put together all my ideas. I am really proud of myself and the money I have saved finding things on clearance or good sales that is still exactly what I wanted. I am determined to not compromise what style I want in each room even if that means it takes me twice as long to do. We live on a very tight budget and I don't want to waste what little money I can spend on something I don't really want just to get something. I like a good challenge though. :)

My parents got Gavyn a toddler bed and we got it put together today. We rearranged the furniture in his room to make room for it and I am super happy with how it looks. The only thing we may still need is another dresser in the room. I might be able to rearrange what is where and make it work for two little boys though. Thankfully we have an empty dresser in the basement and won't have to buy a new one!

I am just pleased to see things getting checked off of our to-do-list even if it takes longer than I would like. We have many years to get things done at this house and we are taking our time to do them right. Hoping to keep some momentum going though since we are adding another little man in a few months. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment