Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Granola Bars

We love granola bars around here but they can get expensive if you want the really good ones. I decided to do some searching for recipes and found a decent "base" for them and have made the recipe my own with tweaks. Today was my third time making them and each time I tried a new flavor and we have loved them all. Here is the recipe with my 3 alternatives that I have tried. Let me know if you make any changes yourself!

2c. Quick Oats
1c. Flour
1/2c. Wheat germ
3/4c. Brown sugar
3/4tsp. Salt
3/4tsp. Cinnamon
1/2c. Vegetable oil
1/2c. Honey
1 Egg
2tsp. Vanilla
1/2c. Applesauce or Peanut butter
1c. Raisins or Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9x13 pan.
Mix together dry ingredients in large bowl.
Add wet ingredients (use 1/2c of veg. oil first, use the same cup for the honey and it will slip right out) mix until moistened.
Pat into pan and bake for 30 minutes.
I have done:
Raisins and Applesauce.
Chocolate Chips and Applesauce
Chocolate Chips and Peanut Butter.

4 comments:

  1. These look awesome! Love that you can sneak in some wheat germ and maybe even flax to up the healthiness factor. Also, have you found a cheap place to buy honey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always buy honey at Aldi. If I remember right it is $3.50. I also bought the wheat germ at Shop N Save and it was much cheaper than the one at Dierbergs. I can't remember the name of it but they had a whole line of different flours and baking mixes that looked really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so good but I have a problem...I can't stop eating them! I made them with chocolate chips and half pb half applesauce. I cut them up into 18 pieces and individually wrapped them for a quick snack and a little portion control! Thanks for the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't know much about ingredients like Wheat Germ but is it necessary or could I substitute flax seed or another ingredient I may already have at home?

    ReplyDelete