Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Sippy Cup Saga

Even if you know me well you probably do not know about all of our Sippy cup adventures. Thankfully Skyler and Nevin both transitioned to the cup easily. But there are still so many choices! Soft tops, hard tops, open tops, straw cups... Seems that the list is endless and confusing. You also have to add in all the worries of safe plastics, safe cleaning, my goodness does a mother's job ever end? Now we have Mr.Gavyn and the real adventure begins.

At about 6 months we started thinking about the cup. I went out and got a soft top Sippy and a soft straw cup not thinking anything of it. I was in for a surprise when weeks passed and Gavyn would not let you put it in his mouth, would not pick it up, he wanted nothing to do with it. Thankfully we have an awesome OT who was there to help. Unfortunately we are 6 months later and not much progress made. He will pick the cups up and sort of put it in his mouth but there is no attempt to drink. I saw the Honey Bear cup and thought, why not try it? I went to order one and to my great surprise the shipping was more than the cup and I am not about to spend 10 bucks on a cup that might not even help!! I started to look at how it was made, thought about why they work well and thought, "Hey, I could make that!"

I did some plastic research and went looking around my house. Found a peri bottle and some straws. Grabbed the scissors, knife and nail file. Here is what I did:

Cleaned the bottle well with hot water and soap.
Got Ryan to pull the outer cap off of the peri bottle since I was not strong enough :)
Cut the tip down so I could fit the straw in it
Filed off all the sharp edges
Inserted the straw
Presto!

We just tried it out and he actually liked it! Let me put it in his mouth, squeez and he got a mouth full of milk. Hopefully after a few days he will be doing it all on his own.

3 comments:

  1. sippy cup at 6 months? did I miss this transitional phase ... I thought they used the bottle until a year or so?? Help!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He will need the bottle until he is done with formula/breast milk! But you should start to introduce some sort of cup when you start to introduce regular food. Sippy cups are OK but straw cups are better for oral development. Plus it ends up being one less transition in the long run. You can get great straw cups at Target that don't spill. If you need more help just ask. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm good to know! thanks for the insight!! :D glad to hear all about gavyn's successes lately!!

    ReplyDelete